Thursday, May 2, 2013

Just is a Four Letter Word

I think we can all agree that there are words that annoy us. Words, said by any person, in any context, are just connections of letters we have ascribed sounds to and yet when coupled with a certain circumstance, certain ones can become very grating. For me, one such word is just. There are others, but this one is really terrible for me.

This word has taken on a whole new meaning for many people. We seem to have forgotten that just is short for justification and that in using the word you are inevitably making an excuse. When used at the beginning of what is said, this one four letter word can tear down any credibility or importance of what might come after it, depending on how its used. This is especially true when we are trying to be polite, gain compliance, or negate our own behaviors and actions as a part of the whole. It is being co-opted to excuse entitlement. Here are some examples I am hearing lately:

"Its just that...
"I just...
"Well, let's just...
"Just one minute...
"Just one...

Just nothing. I am aware that I use this word from time to time and I am trying to be cognizant of when I use it to do something other than convey a fact, a truth, or tell a joke. Because many times, any other use of it is a form of manipulation. A way to use this combination of letters, snapped off of a larger word that means to excuse yourself from wrongdoing, in order to give credence to the idea that if it weren't for some outside force, you wouldn't need to inconvenience everyone for a while.

If you have read my blog for any length of time at all, you will start to see a recurring theme. I have an issue with people who mosey through life thinking that their needs are my emergencies. That their lack of planning or preparation or thought to anything other than their own comforts is now going to be handled by the nearest person because they just didn't have time. They just didn't remember. Its just that things have been so crazy lately! Move over on the pity sofa, and make room for everyone! It is called life. Don't even think of sticking 'only' in its place. There are many occasions where that will not work and its just another four letter word that tells me you think you are special and deserve special treatment.

Lots of little things can get you down and I don't want this to become one of them. I want to have a more lighthearted way of dealing with people who have never been told no and for whom the idea that I am just here waiting to serve them is a real thought. So I am going to do this... I am going to listen to your pathetic excuses for yourself and your inability to take care of business.  Then, I am going to just refuse to deal with it. I will just say no. When this happens to you, go handle your business. Don't make any excuses for your inaction, don't ask me again with a new set of annoying words. Take your show on the road. I just don't have time for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment